View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 5:21 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Interesting read. One thing I definitely can take from that, which doesn't seem to be all that well understood, it the "turning a black into a blue" phenomenom. I'm guilty as hell about this, myself - but I've tried to learn damn quick how to minimize my damage.

Everyone at some stage manages to hit a run they're just not technically ready to do - hell, it's how we learn. I think the trick is to try to stay out of the way, pay attention to people behind you, and don't slowly plow back and forth the entire way down when there are clearly people piled up behind you trying to go. Especially on some of the natural choke points where many runs converge.

Unfortunately many runs due to their design don't seem to really have an "escape route" of any sort, so someone in over their head really has no choice but to take it VERY easy. Sadly too many do it by pretending they're on a green run.

Then again, I've actually seen the ski school people at Sunshine stop a group in a complete blind spot, right where people are going to be going pretty quick. Anyone not paying close attention and those situations could turn ugly fast.

Is Sunshine worse than other hills for having blacks and greens merging together? I've seen some bowls at other hills that look solid black, so you'd think that would prevent at least *some* of the danger of highly differing skill levels.