View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Stream of consciousness...It's an intriguing photo because there's so little in the way of clues. All the readable store signs are pretty generic, Discount Drugs, Cutrate, Sells for Less. There are no other people in the photograph on the street. The bicycle on the left has a lot of things hanging from it. The boy seems more contemporary than usually seen in a 40's photograph, maybe it's that hat. Or the collared polo-type shirt? The car one can see in the reflection in the store windows looks modern to my eyes, but it's a reflection. At the end of the street, is that a truck in the road? Is that white line in the picture a crease in it? What's on the crate by the boy's feet? At the end of the walk it looks like a pole in the middle of the sidewalk? I'm assuming the Miss Liberty Dolls advertised are paper dolls? Why is someone from Cambridge Springs, PA, selling this photograph and where did it come from?
Interesting to hear your different ideas and questions, Martin_Pal

Here is a newstand photograph, with a glimpse of a newsboy, that we may (or may not) have seen on NLA.....The photograph was taken by Ida Wyman in 1950.

Monroe Gallery of Photography

....................................................................................................... Does anyone have that issue of Life Magazine?

. . .did most newstands in L. A. have a liquor license back then?...(I see bottles)

The pages tacked up at the left are. . .(I used to know). . .racing forms? ...(but weren't they illegal?)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 12, 2020 at 3:38 AM.