View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 5:50 AM

Fort Moore Hill Cemetery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Some of them might still be there...

There's a brief history of the Los Angeles City Cemetery aka Fort Moore Hill Cemetery on Find A Grave.

Even briefer version: The cemetery was active from 1847 to 1879, after which it was closed to all except those who already purchased plots. From the early 1900s to 1947, bodies were relocated to cemeteries throughout the area. The moves were not well documented however and about 80 sets of remains were uncovered during school construction in 2006.

More complete history here, including interments.
According to the history there, in the early days of the cemetery there was literally no one in charge and burials happened without record. In 1884 the city sold off some land that was part of the cemetery complex, for residential development. It's claimed that whatever bodies may have been there (and beneath the new streets) were not removed beforehand. Eventually the board of education gained control of the cemetery, which was down to 5 acres from an original size of about 10 acres.
The Fort Moore Cemetery was notorious, both while it was in use and its haphazard and macabre desecration. I'd already read that SCGS page you referenced. That's one that will keep you up nights. What a town. Our beloved noir era is just one of the beads on a very long string.

P.S. I'm convinced now that the pictorial map of 1871 LA, which I posted previously, shows the cemetery at the wrong location, as I can find no other reference to a Bunker Hill Cemetery, but the Fort Moore Cemetery had already been in use for over 20 years by 1871.

Last edited by tovangar2; Oct 30, 2015 at 5:15 PM. Reason: to add PS/Correction