View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 12:22 AM

Afton Park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horthos View Post
I wish I could join in on the conversation right now, but my area of expertise tends to be around the Alexandria Hotel and things that are happening nowadays downtown....
I love the Alexandria & environs. I was just blithering five pages back about wanting the roof and facade illuminations restored to the Alexandria Hotel as was promised by the rehabbers. Since the nuking of Bunker Hill saved the Historic Core, many of us have opinions, I'm sure, on what should be done with it.

There's a good-sized piece of cleared land immediately to the south of the Alexandria (between it and the Arcade Building, which gobbled up Mercantile Place), which backs on to the rear of the distinctly low-rise 1910 Clune's Broadway/Cameo Theater, giving the site a lovely open feeling. It would make a great garden for the Alexandria or a nice public, pocket park (something we don't have enough of). It could be named Afton Park after the hotel that was there (actually the Odeon too was between the Alexandria and the Afton). Open-air movies could be shown on the back wall of the Cameo, which is still intact enough to be returned to its original purpose.

If that sounds more gentrified than noir, no doubt somebody could pull off a crime-of-passion or two there still.

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 23, 2012 at 3:57 AM.