View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:40 PM

Toberman House/Jack Dempsey/El Adobe Studios/Yuletide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
...1749 N Harvard, which was from about 1907--according to some sources when the house was built, and when Harvard in these precincts was Crown Avenue--to his death in 1924 the home of Ralph S. Toberman, son of Mayor James R. Toberman and cousin of Hollywood developer Charles E. Toberman who lived next door at 1761...
Wow, a Toberman house. Now I really am impressed. I have so much affection for the old surviving houses on the "flats". There's so few left. Thx GW so much for the history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
Your friend lives in Jack Dempseys old house!!!!
which of his LA houses is it?
It's the one where he lived with Estelle Taylor:

ebay

One can see the carriage house just beyond on the right (its roof's been colored differently from the main house in this view). At some point in the past that structure was sold off as a separate house. It came up for sale a few years back. I tried and failed to get my friend to buy it to restore the integrity of the estate, but he says he has enough house to deal with (plus new garages were built between and they would have had to be demolished). No Google Street View as the Google camera car can't get past the exceeding ugly Laughlin Park gates. But one can glimpse it from the old main entrance on Los Feliz Blvd (the address was changed at some point to move the new approach inside the Laughlin Park gates):

gsv

Thank you so much ChristinaR for posting those beautiful 1937 Herman Schultheis shots of El Adobe Shops and Studios. It was a real treat to see them. I'll pass them on to my friend who used to live a block north at Casa Laguna on Franklin. They'll knock him out.

Happy Yuletide everyone (you too alanlutz). The solstice passes at 11:12 UTC tomorrow (that's 3:12 am LA time). It's the hook that everyone's winter (or summer if you're south of the equator) hols hang on and yet another thing we all have in common. I do love planetary events. I'm braced to be descended upon tomorrow by huge numbers of friends and family who expect to be able to stuff themselves silly in my tiny flat. Busy. Have a great one.

P.S. Thx too to Flyingwedge for the terrific LA Stock Yards pix (the arena was gorgeous), although you made me remember, when I was a student at the Institute of Design at IIT on Chicago's South Side, the hot days when the clinging smell of rotting death would emanate from the Stock Yards/slaughterhouses and envelope everything. No wonder I'm vegan.

Last edited by tovangar2; Oct 27, 2015 at 2:38 AM. Reason: add P.S.