View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The filming locations on IMDb include Melrose and Heliotrope Avenue. I think I can see Ben Valle Co (grocers) in the background of one of the shots, and the 1932 CD lists a branch at 4315 Melrose. This appears to be e_r's "house-like" building, which still stands at 707 N Heliotrope Drive.

GSV

Another NLA'er previously mentioned this 707 Heliotrope address as the location for a late '80s-early '90s eatery: Club Mambo. Evidently, the structure served as a Phelps & Terkel men's clothing store ('28-early '30s) and a liquor store (in '35), around the time when Chester's film was produced.

Quote:
The notion of repurposing a house or small business as a restaurant, of course, invites recollections of other such places mentioned on NLA, e.g., Butterfield's (8426 Sunset Blvd.) and possibly Father Yod's The Source (8301 Sunset Blvd.). From the early '80s - Cafe Mambo, (707 Heliotrope Drive) and Cha Cha Cha (656 Virgil Ave.) There were more, I recall at least two upscale French and/or Italian restaurants in the Valley. A cursory permit search suggests Butterfield's may have started out with a different street address, perhaps on De Longpre. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=41365