View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2015, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearinaustin View Post
SH 130 is scary in the mornings heading downtown. It's packed from 1431 to 290. Since everyone is driving 75+, when things do come to a stop it gets a little crazy.

Has anyone noticed the complete lack of guardrails along SH 130?

Love the road, but it is pretty stressful driving on it in rush hour.
Occasionally I travel 130 from Gattis School Rd to Parmer during morning rush to avoid I35, and it can go from fast to slow in a hurry. I was a bit surprised at first about the amount of volume, but I even see traffic picking up during morning rush on 45 from 130 to Loop 1. After that it thins out until you get closer to 183 near Lakeline Blvd.

On the way home, 45 east clogs up to an almost standstill on the exit ramp and bridge to northbound 35. Even with the high speed exit ramps on the tolls, its the merging points at major highways that almosts defeats the purpose of paying tolls to get to your destination faster. Now I get to hurry up and wait. And its only going to get worse. Many of the newcomers I talked to have no issue using the toll roads unlike longtime locals, citing its easier not to get lost on them.

About the lack of guardrails, they exist where there are hazards, but there are long stretches without them, not sure I see this as a safety concern since any curves are designed for high speed and the yellow warning stripes which run the length of the toll roads are grooved to remind you that you are drifting off the highway.