View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Yes! Three cheers for inspirational teachers.

What did the monument mean to you then? Did you know the title? Was it just a big, comforting presence, a comment on Indians or something else? Did staff ever explain it or decode it for the students?

And wow, pink & black and turquoise & white, the color schemes of '56. That took me back :-)
First of all keep in mind this was 57 years ago. But I don’t not remember EVER being schooled on the reason for the statue even being there on the campus. Was it commissioned for that school? Seems like a name of Thomas Star King might evoke some other type of tribute???? So was it placed there as a matter of convenience??? It was just there...and we called it Chief Itchytoe. Sort of a mascot but not in the same sense as high schools with team names and colors and all the rah rah that goes with school pride. Maybe Hollywood Graham might remember. I just don't recall any importance. I sure it wasn’t explained to my 12 year old mind and I’m sure my 12-year old mind never asked. But I know that the instant that picture appeared here the name came to me in a flash, so it had some lasting imprint.