View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:46 AM
somewhere in-between

Pretty busy week for development news! Significant upgrades are coming to two prominent senior living communities in the Edison neighborhood.

Quote:
Major, dual investments totaling $66M seek to transform Kalamazoo neighborhood
Cody Combs | WWMT News Channel 3
June 01, 2018

KALAMAZOO, Mich. — A well-known building and an iconic Kalamazoo neighborhood are about to get a face lift. CSI Support and Development, a nonprofit senior housing firm, announced Friday that it would invest $300,000 to upgrade Washington Square, its senior housing co-op facility in Kalamazoo. And that's just the beginning. The investment is the first step in a $6 million renovation plan that includes exterior upgrades and a new name for the building...Accompanying CSI's announcement, managers of Heritage Community of Kalamazoo, the area’s only locally owned and operated nonprofit senior living community, said it too is investing in its facilities, through a 10-year, $60 million plan based in ensuring that all seniors in the city have quality, affordable housing options...
This is a rendering of the renovated Washington Square Co-Op. Before I clicked on the full story, I almost thought I was seeing a new 14-story tower proposal. I have to say that the upgraded exterior, while better than what is there now, is not super-exciting. It looks like just painting over the existing metal panels, in-between the windows. But the fact that they are planning on doing so much more than just a facade overhaul is good -

Source: WWMT | Courtesy CSI

An older MLive photo shows what it looks like currently:

Source: MLive | Scott Harmsen

Last edited by deja vu; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:06 AM.