View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:16 AM

Teen Age Fair in Hollywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Initially posted by HANDSOME STRANGER. Vine Street circa 1953.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/electrospark/

This is one of my favorite photographs of Hollywood.

below: Here is another photo with the same banners. This is looking west on Hollywood Boulevard.

I've posted this once before....I can't recall the source.

below: Banners at Hollywood & Vine 7 years earlier (1946). I believe these banners are slightly different.

http://www.theblackdahliainhollywood.com/

below: Now jump in the Way Back Machine.

Banners along Spring Street in 1929. At right is the brand new Los Angeles City Hall.

usc digital archive

below: Banners over the 4th Street viaduct in 1931.

usc digital archive

below: Banners in front of Grand Central Market downtown (no date given).

LAPL

below: Banners as far south as Crenshaw and 48th Street.

usc digital archive

below: Back in Hollywood 1947.

ucla digital archive

below: There is no description with this photograph. The banner seems to have the American Legion logo.
Does anyone know where this is?

unkown

below: A tourist snapshot showing banners over Vine Street near the NBC Radio Studios.

ebay

below: Another ebay find. The banner says Teen Age something.....perhaps Fair?

ebay

I'm not sure it I'm posting this correctly. I'm a new guy here. I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong. Anyway, The photo is from about 1964 or maybe 1965. The Teen Age Fair had been happening for several years prior to that at the Pickwick Pool Facility at Riverside Drive and Main Street in Burbank. By the time of this photo, it took place at the Palladium a couple of blocks behind the camera. I attended the fair at both venues. It's great to see photos of Wallach's Music City. It was the place to go to if you wanted to drop the needle on your favorite 45 RPM record in your private listening booth while you decided if it was worth the dollar to buy it.

below: Extensive use of banners over Hollywood Blvd. as late as 1961.

unknown

So who owned these banners....the city? Did they rent them out like you would rent a billboard?

________

Also...thanks for the recording history of 6000 Sunset Boulevard 3940dxer. That building has a wonderful legacy.

__

I'm not sure it I'm posting this correctly. I'm a new guy here. I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong. Anyway, The photo is from about 1964 or maybe 1965. The Teen Age Fair had been happening for several years prior to that at the Pickwick Pool Facility at Riverside Drive and Main Street in Burbank. By the time of this photo, it took place at the Palladium a couple of blocks behind the camera. I attended the fair at both venues. It's great to see photos of Wallach's Music City. It was the place to go to if you wanted to drop the needle on your favorite 45 RPM record in your private listening booth while you decided if it was worth the dollar to buy it.