View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 8:00 PM

There don't seem to be many pictures of the aftermath of today's fire. I suppose it's understandable given that pictures of flames are more dramatic than pictures of embers. Here are a couple I've found.

I'm surprised that buildings of this size are still being constructed largely from wood. It reminds me of the fire at a nearly finished apartment complex in Houston back in March. This shot shows how the stairs survived while all around was destroyed. I would have thought that at least the stairwell should have been made of concrete. From what I've read/heard, the building behind suffered fire on three floors, sprinker activations on several other floors due to heat, and windows blown out on every floor. It even looks like the lettering at the top started to melt.

eric spillman on Twitter

Here's a wider shot that I grabbed from ABC7 News earlier. It looks like the section of the development on the east of Temple (on the left of this picture) survived unscathed. It could've been a different story if there had been a strong wind.

ABC7 News