View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 5:44 PM

I don't actually see California as having a huge water problem. People like to make so much fuss about it. Yes California has droughts as does many parts of the US from time to time. People think Washington and Oregon are just lush and wet but many parts are in drought. I think Florida was in drought this year, you can google that.

California has the best statewide water infrastructure. The many dams and reservoirs to store water from snow runoff. The hundreds of miles of water transit aqueducts to agriculture areas and huge populations areas. There is desal plants being built. There is local infrastructure that collects rooftop water, capture river water, cleans grey water and uses it to water parks, golf courses or puts it back into the water system. On top of that there are many conservation efforts, like low flush toilets or low flow shower spouts, replacing grass with drought tolerant plants. Also the agriculture industry is fixing their infrastructure so water drips into the soil rather than spray so much that a lot evaporates.

There are a lot of technologies out there to capture water in other ways. A lot of California has coastal clouds and fog. There is fog catching or collecting machines that capture the moisture and stores water. For those in CA, you sometimes wake up to your car with so much water on it but it hasnt rain in weeks. Reminds me of moistures farms from Star Wars that Luke grew up on.

Anyway I often argue on sites that California can double its population of 40 million to 80 million by reducing its agriculture by 20%. 80% of drinking water is used by agriculture and 20% by residental/commercial/industry and millions of tourists etc. so much water is used to grow food that people in other states with trillions of gallons of water dont grow. It is odd Californians have to conserve so those in other states can eat food with California water. hmmm something is not right. If other states improve their food growing, then California will have enough water. It is not difficult. I lived in parts of Asia where it is freezing but parts of the countryside is covered in tarp and plastic covered greenhouses that are growing food year round in pots. You can grow a lot of stuff indoors like marijuana using UV light. I saw these vertical urban farms that use hydroponics and uv light to grow fast growing greens like lettuce. Every city can have these locally grown foods even if it is -50 degrees using technology.

OK getting off topic. But I think California can do a lot of things using technology that will make things locally sustainable. Fog capture, growing food indoors, solar panels and battery storage on every building.

Bringing back on topic. California can grow into each other. LA Metro, SD Metro, SanBern-Riverside Metro as one giant megalodon. wait that is a shark.

If there were car/rail tunnels from Murrieta to south Orange County, the Riverside county would explode in population as will North County SD along the I-15.