View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:58 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Couldn't agree more!

Some of my personal favorites... the early but not super-early Cliftons (the ones from the beginning & middle of the Turk and de Groot era) are pure gold (beating both Robin Dubois and Leonard).

Franquin and Peyo would also be near the top of my list (for their work in general, especially at their respective peaks). BTW, the two were close friends, too.

For stories where humor isn't at the forefront, I'd say anything by Jean-Michel Charlier (Lt. Blueberry, Buck Danny, Barbe-Rouge) would be hard to beat.

I also find that the best material by far comes from a "golden era" of the Franco-Belgian BD that peaked over a few decades and has been declining for a while now.
It also explains why the comic strip (BD = bande dessinée) actually has good cred in the francophone world as a legitimate form of art or literature, or both.

It's widely referred to as the 9th art form, on the list of art forms, loosely based on the nine muses of ancient Greece.

Since this formulation is not used much in the anglo world, I will list them:

1 - architecture
2- sculpture
3 - visual arts (painting and drawing)
4 - music
5 - literature
6 - performing arts (dance, theatre)
7 - cinema
8 - media (radio, TV photography)
9 - comic strips

There is some debate at the moment about whether a 10th should be added for digital and technological art forms.

Last edited by Acajack; May 25, 2016 at 4:08 AM.