View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Isn't that pretty much true with everything ever?

I'm a lighting nerd so I'm interested in this discussion, but I don't understand what you're actually opposing. Is it the technology? The efficiency? The cost? The brightness? The fact that they're changing at all?
i would like to see trials conducted like they did in LA, with different types of LEDs and induction lights installed on different streets to see what residents like best.

i also think that the city should hire someone to identify what streets need higher lighting levels and which need less, to identify which streets do not have lights at all, and how to ensure the whole city gets adequate lighting.

what i would not like to see is the city simply do a switch-out of all the existing fixtures, which is what i'm afraid they will do. many of the lights in the city are not installed with any regard to pedestrian or vehicle safety, and are haphazardly placed randomly along roadways. many roads have too many lights, many roads have no lights, and some are dark in patches and bright in others.

i would also not like to see them arbitrarily choose one fixture for the entire city. if they choose a single lighting level, it will either leave arterial streets underlit, residential streets overlit, or both. there needs to be different levels of light for different roadways.

overall i would like more accountability and transparency in the project, which we haven't seen at all so far.