View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 1:44 PM

Following on from my previous post and subsequent responses:

Miu – That was based on The Economist data. Eurostat data shows the UK unemployment rate to still be higher than Germany, and ranked 6th in the EU-28. Analysing the divergent economic trajectories of the UK and French economies, it is highly plausible that France will have an unemployment rate double that of its old adversary by the end of next year.

Mousquet – The UK economy is most certainly more reactive, a legacy of the structural reforms that took place during and after Thatcher’s tenure to produce a more flexible working environment. It can hardly be described as a utopia I should add, but it is interesting to note that even when the UK economy experienced a substantial shock following the financial crisis, unemployment remained below that of France, a statistic which has been the case over the last decade. I think the ultimate problem in France is that it has yet to fully come to terms with globalisation, and the belief that it can take all of the upside (trade, investment, jobs, etc…) but none of its downsides (transparency, ease of doing business, regulatory tape, etc…).

I doubt many French politicians and commentators back at the height of the bailout of RBS, envisioned that the UK economy would be growing at an annual rate of 3.0% and that France would register two consecutive quarters of no growth, struggling with very high levels of unemployment and be fortunate to meek out 0.3% in 2014.