View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 6:55 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Any date will be depressing because none of the most significant projects are any further than the environmental stage, with a few not even having undergone any studies yet. So, given the set of circumstances, the timeline is very good, dare I say impressive (err, I think I said that already)? The reality is, a decade is considered right around the corner in transit years. I look at where I was ten years ago and it seems like an eternity. Then I remind myself that it's already been three years since Expo broke ground. Three years ago, the Wilshire Subway was nothing but a pipe dream. That is not the case anymore. Take a look at the LRTP map on the first page and you'll see that most of the projects there are Measure R deliverable. Of the six that are not, only two are without an existing ROW. Those two, however, will easily meet the FTA standard because of the connections they'll have.

I'll say once again that passing Measure R was absolutely critical to securing this region's future. We did what we had to do, and we passed it. Now it's a question of how we can accelerate the timelines of these projects even more. Three projects are set to get going next year, and once they do, other projects will enter the picture. For instance, an extension of the Crenshaw Corridor to the Purple Line is on the agenda, which then renders a La Brea extension inevitable. Once we deliver a few of these projects, there will be more will and momentum to pass another transit measure. Lines that were previously considered fantasies will then become serious proposals and they'll find it much easier to pitch their cases to the FTA.

Like I said, it's only a start, but it's a huge step forward. Now, if you're in your 30s, then maybe I can empathize with your frustration.

β€” Jerome Bruner