View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Original 35mm slide, Sept. 1958. [Extremely Dark]

Looking west on Washington Blvd. towards the old MGM gate, Culver City CA.

eBay

I'm curious about the small businesses along the left side of the slide. I believe we've seen these small shops only once before on NLA but I can't find the post.

I lightened the slide but it's still difficult to read any of the signs on the shops.

The shops were torn down years ago to make way for a studio parking lot.

Back to the reason for this post:... Are any of you minions noirishers able to read the signs on the small shops in the 1958 slide?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

I think the one on the left says "Ca??? Florist." And of course the Chevron Gas Station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

I also thought that sign said Chevron Gas Station but don't see anything resembling a service station. I believe I see a barber pole on the corner of one building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

Good catch on the barber pole. At first I thought the service station was on now-gone street that ran at right angles to Washington, but now I'm not so sure, as the Chevron sign appears to be attached to the pole at the lane between the two buildings. Need an aerial from the period, for sure!
Here's an aerial view which is used to illustrate "1924" in Sony Pictures' timeline. However, the Thalberg Building didn't open until 1938, so I'll guess that this is from around 1940. We're concerned with the area to the right of the Thalberg.

www.sonypicturesmuseum.com

The 1953 view at Historic Aerials shows a virtually identical layout. Could the large open canope hide the Chevron gas station? I completely agree that the sign says "Chevron Gas Station", BTW.

FWIW, the buildings are still about the same in the 1964 view. It's a parking lot by 1972, which is a shame as this area was used for filming later seasons of 'CHiPs', and I'm sure that the small stores would've shown up if they'd still been there.