View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Socko View Post
The arroyo you pointed out was actually the Bimini Slough, which was eventually filled-in because it was used as a local dumping ground and had become an eyesore. You can still see evidence of the former topography in the low ground that runs parallel and just west of Westmoreland Avenue in this area. The dip is quite pronounced where 1st St crosses the old channel near the Virgil St intersection.

About two years ago there was an article in the LA Weekly about the Los Angeles Basin's historic streams and arroyos that have been lost to development. It was one of the most interesting stories I've read about LA geography in a long while. I haven't had any luck finding it, but if I do I will post a link here.

Oh, and what great photos of the Palomar Ballroom. You even got one of it burning! Here's a quote taken from that same Bresee Center web page I quoted from earlier, in regard to the Palomar's discriminatory policies:
Great info. That would be great if you could find a link to that LA Weekly story. I really love LA history.

~ Charles Bukowski