View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here are two slides of Union Station taken in 1979.

eBay
_________________________________________________________________,
I took my first ever trip on a train in 1979 from Union Station to Santa Barbara. When I returned from Santa Barbara I was in a train car with broken air conditioning where they took all the old people out and brought in all young teens who were yelling at the employees saying, "you only put us here because we're young." True! Not a great ride back to Los Angeles! When I got back home Sunday evening there was a disaster movie about a train heading back to Los Angeles on TV, so I had to watch it!

Disaster on the Coastliner is the name of that movie, I just looked it up! IMDB says it aired on October 29, 1979. My memory is that this trip was not that late in the year, but if that's when the movie was on...but October 29 was a Monday and I came back on a Sunday.

Okay, wikipedia says the movie aired on ABC on Sunday, October 28, 1979. It's about a disgruntled employee who tries to make two trains heading toward one another from Los Angeles and San Francisco crash into one another. Reading further, none of this was filmed in California, but rather Connecticut...? So never mind, except that if one wants to see it, apparently Amazon has it available for streaming.

In 2018, I visited Union Station several times to take the Gold Line to City of Hope and was pleased to see the station so busy. That December I was invited on a tour of the station (I don't recall if it was an L.A. Conservancy tour or which one it was), but it was grand. There's some parts of it that are not used except for filming purposes, they said, that we got to go into and we also stood in locations where various movies were filmed and then shown the photos, or video segments from tablets. Among lots of other historical info. It was also Christmas time and the place was beautifully decorated.

Meanwhile, here's a photo I like from the Union Station's website, but no info about it as to what year.

UnionStationLA