View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
The fact that the Road Home used to be on this site doesn't grant it mystical properties. It's a nice design and fits in well with the developing neighborhood. I don't remember the planning commission ever denying a height increase that is allowed under the site's zoning. The planning commission does not have the power to require additional (or any) affordable housing as part of the design review process so if this group believes that they can force it to be included I'm not sure what this is based on. Protesting this project seems at best performative.
First of all, I think the design of this project is some of the best in the city. That being said, I think some people believe that local political decisions should reflect the interests of concerned citizens. Because some people do share that sentiment this group has had some influence on smaller things like zoning decisions. With this one.. you can't deny that a homeless shelter being replaced by sub-400 sq ft units for people making $40k makes for a really compelling argument as far as the media is concerned.

All things considered, I hope the project gets built and sets a new standard for design in the area and throughout the city.