View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadeau View Post
It looks like whatever bar it was, is now closed. There is this article about a cafe/bar that was in that space in the 90s, but I was there in the 20teens for sure. The color photo in the article looks like the same space, so maybe they have the dates wrong. https://www.seeing-stars.com/Landmar...kerHotel.shtml
That photograph is exactly how I remember it! The text matches my memories, too.

Quote:
...the bar area was boarded up and left unused for almost 25 years, before it was re-opened in the 90's as a posh, nostalgic coffee shop called "The All-Star Theatre Café & Speakeasy." Unfortunately, the Café lost its lease recently and planned to move to the nearby Vogue Theatre (which also has a reputation for being haunted).

The café did its best to bring back the Art Deco glamour of the Roaring 20's - the chandeliers originally belonged to Liberace, and you still found a Ouija board on one of the coffee shop's tables, in honor of Mr. Houdini. You could play pool, backgammon or chess, relax on overstuffed sofas... they even sold vintage evening gowns and jewelry on the side.
If you were there in the 20teens, nadeau, I must be mistaken about the date when I returned to the place (with the “All-Star” no longer there). The closest I can guess about the date of my re-visit would be “some time between 2005 and 2015”. I honestly can't remember the date more precisely than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Here's a 1995 write-up on The All-Star Theatre Café & Speakeasy in the lobby of the Knickerbocker.

allstartheatrecafe.com
Thanks for that link, Noir_Noir!