View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Turns out the Bixby and its neighbors managed to survive 'til the very end, which in this case turned out to be 1954-55.

Another shot dated 1955 (but if that's correct then it must've been super early on) showing the Bixby mostly torn down and its neighbor already turned into a mighty fine lookin' parking lot:

unsure of source...acquired from here
Thx again kznyc2k. I'd seen the shot above before (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4769) but had not realized that the pile of debris was the remains of the Bixby house. I guess I had always harbored the hope that maybe someone had moved the house as it still appeared to be in pretty good nick at the end. No such luck.

The view above also shows the pedestrian bridge to the back of the Law Building, which makes the shot below all the more dramatic:

lapl

ProphetM, would you consider making us an overlay of Court Flight on the current Google Street View if and when you've got time?

Thx alester young and e_r for your kind words. I added a P.S. to that post re upcoming development at Hollywood and Western if you're interested: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=13061 I wish I could remember some of old Mr Dexter's great stories about the pool hall in the 40s and 50s. I do recall he had two armed employees drive him home every night with the cash box and then pick him up in the morning to take him to the bank. I never dared go down to the pool hall, although I was dying to see it. In fact, I never got out of my car anywhere near that intersection.

LOL, GaylordWilshire, you must have been desperate for some "prime sinnuendo" to go looking for it in Sarah Bixby Smith's bed. Your performance certainly made a convert of DouglasUrantia. I should sell him a couple of used cars and a bridge seeing as how you've got him primed.

Sid Hudgens would give you a job in a minute. He's always looking for hard-hitting "reporters" who can rip the mask from a scarlet woman masquerading as a "librarianesque nostalgician" with such deathless phrases as, "complicated love life", "involvements with various Reverend Smiths", "hit the sheets with her next dog-collared Smith" (that one brings up quite the visual), "Sarah's exploits", "connections to a fast crowd" "the whole mess is here". Too bad Hudgens is dead...and fictional.

It will be a great day when a 44-year-old mother of five (one child died young) can divorce the man who utterly betrayed her and their children and then (gasp!) remarry without being excoriated (in this case almost 100 years after the fact). Alas, we're not there yet.

findagrave

Sarah Hathaway "Bix" Bixby Smith (1871-1935)
Wellesley, class of 1894 (see photo above)
138 N Hill Street, Los Angeles, California

President of the Friday Morning Club (1928-33)
Vice-President of the Historical Society of Southern California (1935)
Trustee of Scripps College
First woman elected to office in Claremont, CA,
(serving on the school board for eight years)
Published author of five books
Mother of five

"liked her more for her money than anything else"?