View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
Having worked in Hollywood in that time and before I would say it was on its way long before '69. I can remember '65 while working parking lots in the area, LAPD Metro would come in for a sweep on the week ends and clean up problems. However it would start over again Monday. I am sure others may have even earlier observations. In the early 50's it was not uncommon to have 10 year olds going to the movies with like age friends to Hollywood, I did. Now NO WAY!!!
I agree. I remember my mother telling me in the late 1950s that Hollywood had already gone downhill. To me, the culture shock of the late 1960s was the real beginning of the decline. And I accept some blame for it.

You reminded me that in 1959 there was a midnight Halloween movie showing at the Iris Theatre. My mother gave me a note to carry in case I was stopped for being out after curfew. It said, "My son has my permission to attend the midnight movie." Image how far we have come in 60 years. Another mass shooting today in El Paso and last week in Gilroy. What mother today would allow her young child to wander the streets of Hollywood at midnight?