Thread: Calgary Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
As a Vancouverite, who doesn't consult SSP Calgary too often, I was awed by the new gigantic freeway sysyem (sorry I forget the name) that will wrap around 2 sides of the city.

This was super-impressive, and I wish we had just a drop, not much, but nevertheless a tad more of that in our road planning, but that's very much another story.

My major 'concern', if you will, is that this will create huge low desnsity suburban sprawl, (think Phoenix, Los Angeles ...) and create an ever-more car dependent Calgay. Right or wrong?

I would have thought this this huge free-suburban sprawl deal would fly in the face of the development of LRT, maybe subway, commuter rail... any feedback appreciated.
Like Edmonton's system the freeway you're referring to will be a complete belt around the city. It's 3/4 done with the last two parts (the work is being split due to the size of the overall project) being done now.

Given Vancouver's near nonexistent road system wouldn't you want a lot more than a tad? To effectively and efficiently move goods and people you need a good road system. Not everyone is going to live in TOD developments nor wants to. No, the road being built in Calgary is not going to result in more sprawl but it will help people who live on the edges of the city get to where they need to go a lot faster than if they had to rely on a road network as bad as Vancouver's. If Vancouver were to build one decent freeway the demand for more would appear over night.