View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I find this 'postcard' photograph quite intriguing.

ebay

The man holding the large fish, the obedient dog (cute!) and the stone thingy (I thought it was a water trough for horses) -then realized there's no place for water

On the reverse

The seller added who's who in the Eiss family. (and that Daniel was a doctor)

Dr. Daniel Eiss, Rosa Eiss (Wife) and Zula Eiss (Daughter)

They also added that Zula Eiss (Bradley) died in the Los Angeles area.
__

Here's a closer look.

detail

Oh, to hear the story about that big fish.

__
If this picture was taken in California, then the Eiss family was probably visiting here. They made their home in the Chicago area where Dr. Eiss was in practice. they also had a son, Daniel, who was a doctor as well. Daughter Zula married Alvin P. Bradley in Chicago in November of 1916. They lived in the Chicago area at least until 1934 when Zula was hostess for Delta Gamma Alumni at her "new home" in Glencoe. It appears that they also lived in the Chicago area for some time, but they both died in California. At the time of Alvin's death they were living in San Marino. A directory from 1951 gives an address of 1194 Oxford Road, San Marino. There is another for 1952 which has an address of 1215 Hillcrest Avenue. A directory for 1949 shows their address 2350 Robles Avenue, San Marino. Since the directory addresses change so frequently , it may be that they came to California for just the winter (or maybe the summer since he was a teacher) and rented property while here. They also may have stayed with friends or relatives in California. I do note that neither of the two other men, the one with the fish and the one closer to the palm, appear to be Zula's husband since he is described in his draft registrations as being of medium height and slender.

Last edited by oldstuff; Jun 9, 2017 at 3:37 PM.