View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
The short answer is, not that I know of.
I’ve been meaning to organize my files on the Hollywood drive-ins so here goes.
The Carpenter’s at Vine has been much shown, here…
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14241
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=29699
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=17962
which are probably only a few of many more.
These pictures are all previously posted. (these drive-ins were here all those years yet there only seem to be a handful of photos of them).
I did some research using newspapers, city directories and the city online building records trying to get them organized in my mind. (Not going to post all the permits, unless someone wants them, I happily can do) So to round ‘em up: heading down Sunset

6285 Sunset NE Corner @ Vine
CARPENTER’S

This is the one that was demolished for the NBC studio.
• 1930 Carpenter’s builds a sandwich stand here.
• 1938 NBC builds its broadcasting studio here
• 1962 NBC’s Radio City is demolished

6-6-34 LATimes

6290 Sunset SE corner @ Vine
PIG STAND / CARPENTER’S / STAN’S

This is where Carpenter’s moved when its first Sunset & Vine stand was to be demolished. Originally though it was a rival drive-in operated by the Pig Stand chain from Texas. Not sure Pig Stand was still in biz when Carpenter’s took over the location in fall 1937. But carpenter’s demolished the building and put a new one built by engineer SB Barnes. They were there until it became a Stan’s, 1951.
• 1931 the Pig Stand BBQ Sandwich restaurant goes up.
• 1937 Sept. Carpenter’s demolishes the existing building, builds a new drive-in opens here.
• 1951 Carpenter’s becomes a Stan’s Drive-in
• 1961 Drive-in demolished for 20-story Sunset-Vine Tower

Getting back to E-R’s question, these were the only Carpenter’s on Vine that I know of.

6407 Sunset - NE cor @ Cahuenga & NW cor @ Ivar aka 1502 N. Cahuenga
ROBERTS/SCRIVNER’S

Scriveners at Cahuenga covered here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10601

Roberts leased this property in 1939, demolishing an existing building that had been something called the Hollywood Mercantile in the 1890s; since 1917 it had housed the Frank Meline-owned Hollywood Laundry. When Roberts came along, HL moved to the north, taking its roof-sign with it. Between 1952 and Nov 1956 became “Scrivner’s.” And some time in or around 1958 it became a gas station. Jack in the Box now occupies this property. Its Sunset address is 6407.
• 1890s Hollywood Mercantile
• 1917 Hollywood Laundry (owned by Frank Meline) buys this lot.
• 1939 Roberts Bros. lease the corner; builds its drive-in. Hollywood Laundry moves to the north
• 1952 The drive-in becomes Scrivner’s
• 1960 Drive-in is demolished for a service station (per building records)

matchbook from Roberts

11-30-56 LATimes

6760 SE cor @ Highland and cor @ McCadden
SIMON’S / STAN’S

One of two Simon’s on Sunset for a few years. Across from Hollywood High School and the Currie’s ice cream. Simon’s was here as of 1938. S.B. Barnes was engineer for the round building. As of December 1951 it became a Stan’s drive in. Since Stan’s took over the Carpenter’s at Vine that same year, there were now 2 Stan’s on Sunset. It was still a drive-in in 1971 when it was demolished.
• As of 1938 Simon’s Drive-in here
• 1951 Simon’s becomes Stan’s
• 1971 demolished.

7101 Sunset NW cor @ La Brea
MCDONNELL’S / TINY NAYLOR’S

McDonnell’s is here as of 1936 but isn't listed in their 1940 ad. By 1952 this location had become a Tiny Naylor’s drive in. No pictures (that I know of) showing it as McDonnell’s.
• As of 1936 Drive-in here
• 1952 Drive in becomes Tiny Naylor’s
• 1980’s Tiny Naylor’s demolished.

Jan 1940 LATimes

Colonial Drive In / Marquise

This is the one that became Marquise Restaurant (non-drive-in) covered here recently.

8801 Sunset @ Horn
SIMON’S / DOLORES’ / JACK’S ON THE STRIP

This was a Simon’s Drive in as of 1937 at least. In 1945 it was taken over by Amanda & Ralph Stephens, who’d founded the first Dolores in Oklahoma City, OK. Dolores isn't here as of 1950 and at some point a diner named “Jack’s on the Strip” opened here- no other info about the property until it was demolished for Tower Records.
• 1935-37: About this date Simon’s opens a sandwich stand here
• 1945: Dolores Drive-In opens here by this year
• 195?: Becomes Jack’s on the Strip drive-in
• 1970: demolished for Tower Records

as Simon's c. 1937

a as Dolores

9-28-50 LA Times

now a mystery drive in (mystery to me that is).
Hollywood Historic Photos has this view of a McDonnell’s captioned Sunset & Cahuenga 1941 and supposedly designed by Wayne McAlister.

here

I can sure see the influence of Wayne’s other 1941 design, the El Rancho Vegas in Nevada.
my files

But if that building was at Cahuenga and Sunset?…… I don’t know it.
• SE cor Sunset & Cahuenga: One of those under-photographed corners, I have no idea what was here. In the fall 1942-summer 1943 the American Women’s Voluntary Services (AWVS) had it HQ here, whatever it was. Amoeba Records is on this site now.
• NE cor Sunset & Cahuenga was the Robert’s
• NW corner Sunset & Cahuenga had been Sweet’s Furniture Exchange since 1935 (6425 Sunset)
• SW corner Sunset & Cahuenga was a Shell station.

There WAS a McDonnell’s at YUCCA and Cahuenga. I don’t know if that’s it, though. I found a record of Melvin (M.A.) McDonnell applying for a permit in 1932 at 1820 Cahuenga, NE corner but didn’t see a 1941 record. I think this must be the later location of Biff’s, whose sign (next to the gas station) is shown in E-R’s post here:

(There’s the family connection between Biff’s and Tiny Naylor’s and the McDonnell’s at La Brea became a Tiny Naylor’s) but I found no record of it in the online records either.
The first picture in this series is looking East at the corner of Glendale Avenue and Colorado Blvd. in Glendale. Carpenters became Henery's Chicken in the Rough. The tall stack in he background became a Lincoln, Mercury dealership by 1950. All of these building are long gone.

Paul C. Koehler