View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
Wow! I'm surprised that the station posted by BifRayRock still survives. If ProphetM hadn't mentioned a recent sighting, I never would have looked for it. But there it is, on Foothill, near Archibald. The Google Maps aerial shot shown below shows the station with garage section intact.

Google Maps

Unfortunately, the Google Maps street view tells another story. Apparently the property is currently being torn down. But take heart! I'm sure the property will be filled soon by a fast food joint!

Google Maps
Here's an article from 2009 about the station getting landmark status:
Curbed LA, March 13, 2009

It also mentions that the owner was not happy about the new status as it would make it more difficult to tear down. It also says the station closed in 1971.

While the street view shot shows the garage in back in mid-demolition, that was from February 2011. My photo dates from the following September - so the demo event that took the garage did not take the service station.

And in Googling I am finding indications that the station still stands.
It is somewhat famous in Route 66 circles (usually described as "the Cucamonga service station"), as Foothill Blvd. was Route 66. I saw a blog post from November mentioning it as still there, and an encouraging Facebook post from just last month where a man said he was part of a group that is trying to save the station.

There is yet hope.