View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:20 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
The boom in apartment construction may slow down some, but doesn't exactly need a breather. Austin is still one of the fastest growing metros and economies, and we still haven't adjusted to the pent up demand from the downturn.

We haven't had much new delivered units in condo developments, and I expect actually a pick up over the next few years in those projects.

Hotel developments are probably overextended. A few of the current projects will get built, but after that we're almost certainly in for five to eight years of no large scale construction in that area.

Office development is definitely going to pick back up, and I agree that major projects are likely to be put in the works given the growing economy and pent up demand.

Smaller commercial/retail developments are the other type of development, and I expect continued growth as a part of mixed-used projects and the occasional stand alone retail project.

The wild card is the new medical district. I hope we get some major medical office developments around the new medical area as the university picks up speed.