View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Thank you to Hoss C for his recent post on this unique and ultra modern restaurant....and comments by ER.

My parents would often take out-of-town guests to Welch's in the 1950s. I loved the restaurant. It catered to children and that's why my parents took us there. Plus, the food was outstanding.

The owner, Mr. Welch, had been the manager of the Navy Officer's club at the Naval Station Long Beach during WWII. His mother had built several restaurants herself back in the 1930s. Therefore the whole Welch Family had a lot of food establishment experience.

I'm acquainted with Mr. Welch's daughter who was hostess of Welch's. We've exchanged emails. A few years ago she sent me some old Welsh's matchbooks.

Photo taken from the south east corner of the intersection.

That's a red lobster in the palm tree...

This salad bar was a soft pink color and they always had some bright red lobsters on the ice. Families were seated in this area at the right. Couples were seated in the Tropical Room in previous post.

The text at the bottom of this kid's menu is a testament of how kids were treated at Welch's...always welcome, even though the establishment was very adult oriented.
The kid's plates were as elaborate as the adult servings....just a bit smaller portions.

Sadly it was replaced by a nondescript medical building.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jul 27, 2016 at 2:19 AM.