View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Werdin Alley and Winston Street looking south.

118 Winston (1887) on the left, John Parkinson's 1909 Canadian Building on the right.

gsv

LAT on the very noiry history of Indiana Alley/Werdin Place
I was driving the google-mobile around this same area the other day, trying to see the rear of the King Edward Hotel.

Like the Hotel Baltimore, I only recently realized the King Edward Hotel was L-shaped.

google_earth

After frustratingly peering through the locked gates on Winston Street, I was suddenly transported through the gate by 'Geo-Capture'.

below: A view from within the gates of Indian Alley/Werdin Place.

gsv

note the small sailboat marooned on the fire escape above the alley. -quite surreal.

Ghost sign for the King Edward Hotel above Werdin Alley/Indian Alley.

gsv

A view of E. 5th Street from behind the Werdin gate. That's the recently discussed C.M. Huff building on the right, with the Chernock on the left.

gsv
____

Now back to the epicenter of 'Indian Alley', 118 Winston Street.

gsv

"Built in 1887, 118 Winston Street was one of L.A.'s premiere piano shops, a brothel, and the headquarters of a youth communist society and the International Labor Defense.
Sister Sylvia May Cresswell, once crowned 'Queen of Skid Row', ran her 'Soul Patrol' there during and after World War II. The building had a cameo in the film 'The Sting'."

"Then, starting in the 1970s, 118 Winston was the United American Indian Involvement Center, opened to provide a safe place for American Indians to clean up, get a hot meal, and escape the harassment they encountered."

"Since the center moved in 2000, the building has housed a yoga studio, art gallery and residence."

118 Winston and Indian Alley in the 1970s.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...ic-past-158563

information from:
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-i...629-story.html
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 1, 2015 at 11:38 PM.