View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 11:23 PM
Community Guy

Arena appears on budget, construction set for March, city manager says

BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTON JOURNAL

EDMONTON - Edmonton’s downtown arena is on course to meet its $480-million construction cost and should be ready to start construction in March, city manager Simon Farbrother says.

“I would say we’re very close to the end,” he said Thursday.

“A lot of the heavy lifting on this building has been completed. We’re now moving into the implementation stage.”

Staff from the city, the Katz Group, PCL Construction and project manager Icon Venue Group have been working for more than 18 months to ensure the arena meets the required guaranteed maximum price.

Final figures are expected to be ready by the end of the month and will likely be presented to city council Feb. 11, although if they’re within budget councillors won’t take another vote on the project, Farbrother said.

“All indications are that we’re on target … The number will be presented when we have fully verified it’s accurate and complete.”

An update going to city council Wednesday shows that once the price is confirmed, excavation for the site on 104th Avenue near 103rd Street will start in March.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...103/story.html

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers