Thread: LEGO Skylines
View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 10:00 PM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

Kevin, I would say there are definitely some good ways to go about making bases that can be cost effective. In my modeling experience, I have found that a five-plate-and-one-tile thickness provides the most rigidity, as well as enough substance to the context so that the building and plaza compliment each other quite nicely. I typically try and do a layer of plates, followed by bricks, then another layer of plates which are capped by tiles. Larger plates are necessary, I feel, to cover enough studs in order to interlock the bricks. The bricks, one the other hand, provided the stiffness and rigidity that will stabilize the base. If you simply stacked five layers of plates topped by tiles, you'll find that the base will warp upward and the model could end up bobbling a bit. The good thing about the middle layer of bricks is that you can use all your undesirable colors on the inside behind the uniform elements of the plaza's composition. If you find yourself making thicker bases due to elevational variations, the thickness and thinness of one area versus another can be quite compelling from an urban understanding standpoint. I wouldn't suggest making a thick base if there's no need for it, though. Balance can make or break a composition, which is, after all, what any artistic medium is about.