Thread: Future taxation
View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm already paying. My billings are down by about 50% because elective procedures have been cancelled.

And how dare you say "what difference does it make." That's pretty damned flippant and dismissive of you. But, I guess as long as you're not in the 2%, it doesn't matter to you, does it............
One thing to keep in mind is that wealth tends to scale up very dramatically in the upper percentiles. The top 2% is well off, sure, but nothing like the top 0.1% or 0.001%.

The top 100 or so families in Canada have more wealth than the bottom 12 million or so.

"The 1%" was always a stupid slogan. Most of the top 1% is wealthy professionals or small-to-medium business owners, who have peanuts compared to the ultra-wealthy. $9M gets you into the top 1% in Canada while the wealthiest family is over $30B now. $9M is certainly comfortable but you're not living in a mansion on a Caribbean island and flying around in a private jet. And you make have personally worked very hard providing a lot of social value to get that money, while the billionaire families are often more like "dynasties" of random children who are given C-level titles, board positions, and billions of dollars.