View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
I've been getting all worked up lately about Robert Brown Young -- best known for his large hotels and business blocks like the Lankershim and Wilson and Westminster and Hollenbeck, etc.

But as a Bunker wonk, I was thrilled to find he was the architect of the Argyle (I knew from another source the Antlers on Fourth south of Olive was his). RBY is also the architect of the slidy Highland Villa.

From the book on RBY by Le Berthon, 1905:

huntington

gsv

I was just happy to find a good image of the Argyle with its original porches and tower, before their loss to the widening of 2nd St, so I thought it fitting to share it here!
Amazing picture of the Argyle before 2nd was widened. Never knew it had those gingerbready porches along the south elevation either.

I'm interested in Young's work too. Beaudry, I'm sure you're already familiar with the Alphonse J. Forget House he designed at 1026 S. Bonnie Brae Street, but since I have my own photo I thought I'd share anyway:

my photo

And a very similar house he designed which sits around the corner at 1851 W. 11th Street:

gsv