View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 7:42 AM

Hi All,
Thanks for all of the wonderful photos and info. This site is the best.
Regarding a post I made a long time ago regarding my great-grandfather, Daniel Webster McMillan, who lived in DTLA in 1918: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=746

I was hoping to get a where-a-bouts on the contemporary ghost sign below. It is from a company he worked for in the 30's, Quon Quon Import-Export, Albert Quon proprietor. Mr. Quon was very successful in LA (see info below). Pic found online but address unknown. Can anyone identify the street? I had driven around downtown one afternoon but no luck.
Thanks, Mark

courtesy frankjump.com

Albert Toy Quon of Los Angeles; died July 26 2001, at the age of 100. He was the founder of Quon-Quon, a national export-import company specializing in fine Chinese art objects and giftwares. Born in Canton, China, he moved to the Unites States with his father while a teenager and completed his high school studies in San Diego, Calif. While at USC, Quon majored in business administration with a minor in law. He was an outstanding student; he also served as president of the Cosmopolitan Club and the Sigma Pi Alpha business fraternity and was a member of Beta Gamma Sigma, the business honor fraternity, and Phi Kappa Phi, the national honor society. He met his first wife, Lily (Ho) Quon ’28, at USC,
and they married shortly after graduation. Quon established his company in Peking in 1929, then moved his headquarters to Los Angeles in 1937. His achievements in business and real estate development brought recognition from the Los Angeles community: He was the first Asian to be admitted to the Los Angeles Rotary Club (#5) and the first Asian to serve on the Board of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce. He retired in 1976. A devoted alumnus of USC, Quon established endowed scholarships for international students from the Pacific Rim in 1953, and he received the USC Alumni Award for Business Excellence in 1975. In 1985, the Albert T. Quon University and Community Service Awards were established at the USC Marshall School of Business; they honor selected students for their academic achievements as well as their outstanding university and community contributions. A bronze bust in Albert Quon’s likeness is displayed in Bridge Hall on the University Park Campus. Quon was preceded in death by his second wife, Lily Chou, who died in 1999.

Last edited by Mark L; Jan 28, 2013 at 8:30 AM.