View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 10:25 AM
I have lurking issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hoffman View Post
Heh, my pleasure. Hard to forget. I remember telling that story to a guy on my own website and he did some digging and told me that the theater next to the Sports Arena was the Fox. It was nice to put a name to that anonymous exposed structure after all this time. Then I saw the pics here and felt I had to comment.

I'm totally dreaming about LA Film Noir after reading this thread constantly every day for hours at a time. Can't believe I got through all 289 pages here. My head is still spinning.

My grandfather worked in the Arcade building on Spring Street (he was a barber) and I loved seeing the few shots of the building. I have memories of the one and only time my parents took me downtown to see him (must have been in the very early 1960s). I remember that it was very crowded on the streets around there, people crossing the streets in like a triangle, not just across one street but sort of at an angle. All the men were in suits and wore hats which I thought was really odd since I knew no one who wore one. It looked old and dingy to me even then but I never forgot it. Seeing some of these pics here makes LA of the past just seem like a bewildering place, with ruined buildings torn down due to neglect and classic mint beautiful buildings torn down just because they were 20 years or so old.

Tragic but I also remember at the time (as a kid) not caring too much about it, thinking (like all good LA people) that new was better. Silly, but true.

At any rate this thread is probably the best I've ever read on the Internet and I've learned more about my home town than I ever thought possible.

So, thank you all!

Sorry to go off topic for just a second, but are you the Steve Hoffman, the mastering engineer? If so, I have enjoyed your forum for years. I've learned so much from the members there, so thank you!

Sorry for the hijack, carry on.