View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:51 PM

I read through as much of this as I could stomach and once again almost none of it feels familiar or correct about transit in my city, San Francisco, pre-COVID, except the comments about some of the ridership being "freaks".

Pre-COVID, and I wouldn't know about now because I'm not riding either as a matter of virus protection, transit was crowded--often packed actually--and quite effective as a means of getting around if you were willing to put up with the occasional smelly homeless person standing or plopping himself next to you (almost never having paid the fare).

As I've said, also, the city standard is no one having to walk more than 2 blocks from home to catch a bus or train and the busiest lines operate as often as every 8 minutes.

My own home is on 3 bus lines currently being coverted to a BRT system. 2 train stations are within easy walking distance (both have the Muni light rail subway system, one has BART heavy commuter rail). I do not feel the need of a car and do not have one at my SF condo.

I really doubt any city in Canada has a better system than ours. New York does, Paris and London probably (I haven't tried those). But we are not a national capital or even a national financial capital though we are regional one.