View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 2:19 AM

The Emerald City: Seattle

In late March/early April, I had the opportunity to head up to the Pacific Northwest for some exploration of Seattle and Portland. A friend of mine was attending a medical conference in Seattle, so I tagged along and took advantage of the free hotel room (downtown Sheraton). I spent 5 nights in Seattle and then took Amtrak down to Portland for an additional 3 nights on my own (Portland photos here). The weather was overcast and showery for the most part, but that's to be expected in early spring.

Heading into Belltown after stopping by Top Pot Doughnuts on 5th Avenue for some coffee and two tasty doughnuts.

My little itty bitty teeny tiny glimpse of the Olympics

Lower Queen Anne

Heading up Queen Anne hill

Heading to Kerry Park to check out a classic Seattle view.

Looking down toward South Lake Union.

The view from Bhy Kracke Park on Queen Anne hill.

Checking out the homes on Queen Anne hill.

Continuing up the hill toward Upper Queen Anne

Upper Queen Anne neighborhood, Seattle.

Queen Anne East neighborhood, Seattle.

Views from Queen Anne East northward toward Fremont.

The view from East Queen Anne hill looking eastward across Lake Union toward the East Lake neighborhood & Capitol Hill beyond the elevated highway (Interstate 5).

The view from East Queen Anne hill looking down toward Lake Union & Gas Works Park, with the University District in the background.

The view from East Queen Anne hill looking eastward across Lake Union toward East Lake, Portage Bay, Huskey Stadium, and Union Bay.

The view from East Queen Anne hill looking eastward across Lake Union toward the East Lake neighborhood & Capitol Hill beyond the elevated highway (Interstate 5).

Descending down the north side of Queen Anne hill toward the Lake Washington Ship Canal and Fremont.

Crossing the Lake Washington Ship Canal into Fremont, Seattle.

Fremont, Seattle.

Ballard, Seattle.

Views looking south while walking along Market Street between Ballard and Wallingford.

Wallingford, Seattle.

Crossing over I-5 while traveling from Wallingford to the University District in Seattle.

The University District near the University of Washington in Seattle.

The University of Washington campus.

The Lake Washington Ship Canal between the University District and Gas Works Park.

Gas Works Park on the north shore of Lake Union, Seattle.

A view from Gas Works Park along the north shore of Lake Union, Seattle.

Downtown from Gas Works Park

Aurora Ave/Highway 99 Bridge over the Lake Washington Ship Canal.

Back in Fremont, Seattle.

Downtown Seattle

What the hell is that brightness? Could it be sunshine? Yes indeed.

After enjoying some sunshine up on Queen Anne, I headed off to Ballard for a late brunch along the boat docks.

Heading to King Street station on Sunday morning to catch my Amtrak train to Portland.

It wasn't until I returned home that I realized I never captured any shots from Capitol Hill despite the fact I went up there every day. Anyway, hope you enjoyed this glimpse of Seattle from early spring.

Last edited by OhioGuy; Aug 14, 2011 at 4:14 PM.