View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 10:00 PM
No grabbing my banana!

AFAIK, the tower proposal is completely dead and won't even be considered for the future.

City Tech's "New Academic Building" will only be about 5-6 stories (5 if I remember correctly), and it will take up the whole site currently occupied by the Klitgord Building. Simply put, the state is so broke right now, that there isn't even any money to add just 1 or 2 more floors on top. Instead, much of the money remaining is going towards building the New Academic Building as well as renovating the existing City Tech buildings.

Basically, the proposed plan shows that there will be no room to build any supertalls or anything else on the site, and that it's unlikely that a supertall will be built on top. The only other land available is the television studio space - that's the empty-looking lot between the proposed tower and the 4-story Gothic building (Westinghouse High School). Of course, along with Westinghouse High, the television studio is also Department of Education property, so good luck wresting that land out of the city's hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
some sort of plan is still in the works for that area. i go to school at NYU Poly (right next to this project) and we're clearing our building on the corner of Jay St and Johnson St for a future development. I was told that the building has several hundreds of thousands of sq ft for development.
They're going to knock down the Jacobs Building? Bummer - I kinda liked it. But Polytechnic has already either knocked down part of it or added a modern annex to it, since the entrance to the gym states it's also called the Jacobs Building (so I'll assume they're both connected). So I'm not surprised that they're planning what they're planning.