View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 7:56 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
My only gripe with the Marina plan is that all of the tallest towers are placed on the same 2-3 blocks. The Marina skyline would look more balanced if these were spread throughout the Marina as opposed to crammed together. Are there anymore unannounced plots in the Marina removed from this cluster that could theoretically harbor a supertall?
Exactly.
Here's what I think, the best way would be to have about 3 supertall plots back to back in one place, that'd make for a nice central peak, then have a few more plots in certain locations such as at the mouth of the marina, etc. The way it's done is just stupid since everyone will lose their views. I presume emaar's (the masterplanners) intention was to have a landmark area and focal point of the whole marina so they took away the height restrictions on the plots in this area. This decision probably happened before the supertall madness though when the burj dubai was still a vision in most people's opinion. Most of the towers in the marina released were between 100m and 200m so they probably expected the towers here to be between 200m and 300m with maybe 2 or 3 real supertalls. I'd say they never imagined developers would want to build towers in excess of 100 floors here so they didn't plan for them.

Right now I don't think there are plans for supertalls in other parts, it's possible emaar might want to build a signature tower but who knows. The only other supertall is almas tower across the road in another similar but smaller development.