View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 3:46 AM
Lahaina Strong

Since we're still on the topic of concourse c, the closure of a b-gate to facilitate construction has been removed from the phasing in recent materials:

I don't think a lot of people realize how big SLC will be with just A&B, 94 gates is huge. Really the only way C could happen is if another airline opened a hub here, which isn't likely. The whole point of building the remainder of Concourse B is to keep the airport from having to expand for a while.

The goal of the present reconstruction and expansion of the airport is to reach a point where further expansion is unneeded for the indefinite future. The airport master plan covers the topic well when it points out that even if growth occurs more rapidly than expected the present airport facilities will have reached midlife before C is needed. The point of the expanded airport project is to break the cycle of finishing one project and having to immediately start on another.

I don't believe the airport will grow rapidly forever, finite growth is natural. As times change we'll see more alternate modes of transportation, our 2020 terminal and Concourses A&B will be adequate and sufficient for a changing world while providing ample room to grow. I'm proud of our airport and hope the present facilities outlive me, but I don't subscribe to the idea that it'll grow forever.

Quote:
Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell. - Edward Abbey