View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it would not be possible for me to disagree more strongly with you. not all suburbs are created equal. living in an old gridded streetcar burb built out in the 1920's complete with neighborhood retail strips is a very different experience than living in a 1980's cul-de-sac development where all land use is strictly segregated and not even remotely interconnected.

as a general rule, most americans do seem to prefer to raise a family in a single family home. that's a cultural thing that probably won't be changing in any of our lifetimes. the problem isn't the single family home per se, it's how we build communities of single family homes. before the war america was still quite adept at building communities of single family homes that could still function somewhat well on the lower ends of the urban spectrum. but after the war, virtually all community building became enslaved to accommodating automobiles. and that was the beginning of the end.
I don't think he was referring to "first ring" or older suburbs...I am pretty sure he just meant "modern suburbia" more or less?