View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 5:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slock View Post
Of course they'll like it when it's built, and by that time they'll wonder how California would even survive without it.

I just don't understand why everyone runs for the hills when a project's price is estimated. Yes projects go over budget or are sometimes delayed, but, like I said, this would be the largest public works project ever built. I think audacity is more admirable than skepticism. Should the Golden Gate or Bay Bridges never have been built in the midst of the Depression, should New York have waited until its congested streets were impassable and ruined its economy before it built the subway because of the cost? NO. I can't imagine these places functioning without them now. These are enormous projects, with enormous price tags - because they will provide enormous benefits.
Now that is laughable. We're all delighted that the Golden Gate Bridge was built. But at the time, they didn't try to tell people in Sacramento that the costs also included the Tower Bridge or people in San Diego the Coronado Bridge. They didn't try to tell us that the Bay Bridge would cut traffic in San Diego.

try again...