View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:49 AM
Beer Stampede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i think its pretty limited, especially considering the strong tailgating culture in kc. even the baseball games have tailgating.

there was a push a few years ago to build a downtown stadium, but the location was almost too prime. i think sporting facilities should go on the fringes of downtowns, or in industrial areas with urban redevelopment potential.
The push is still there to bring at least the Royals downtown, although I believe it's lost a bit of steam. I was once a pretty heavy proponent of a downtown stadium, but honestly, I just don't know where you could put it without destroying several blocks of buildings and kicking out the very businesses that we've fought to bring into the area.

And like you said, tailgating has been a very important part of the culture. Not only are people hanging out, putting aside their differences to socialize and whatnot, but hundreds of thousands, perhaps more, are pumped into the local economy each game, from people buying beer, hot dogs, chips, condiments, charcoal, napkins, etc. With a downtown stadium, much of that would be eliminated with being forced to build parking garages.

I guess I just like the way things are going on in the downtown area. There's no shortage of building projects, such as hotels, and apartments that are going up, and I expect that to continue.