View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

So the Café Lafayette and the Café De Paree were in the same building (at the same time?)

Paul Perrot's sounds familiar, maybe I'll find something in some old files I have stashed away.
The references I found for the Cafe Lafayette were dated 1925 and 1927. All of the Café De Paree clippings below are from 1936.

The first is from a book called 'Filipinos in Los Angeles' by Mae Respicio Koerner. It shows a large dining room during the Fourth Inaugural Banquet and Ball of the Philippine Junior Assembly.

books.google.com

The top of the page was missing from the PDF file where I found this article, but the URL suggests it's from a 1936 edition of the California Eagle. The Café De Paree apparently played host to 3,000 rowdy Union Pacific dining car employees. I like the line about the flowers on the tables making it resemble "a Chicago gangster's funeral".

www.fultonhistory.com (PDF file)

This November 1936 edition of Automatic Age describes "a truly excellent dinner" at the Café De Paree which took place in September of that year. The occasion was the Coast Coin Machine Show and Frolic. The cafe only had to deal with 1,500 diners that night!

aa.arcade-museum.com (PDF file)

As for Paul Perrot, an article on forgetthetalkies.com names him as one of the first owners of the Hollywood restaurant Café Nikabob in 1928. The other owners were Nick Krause and Bob Cobb (of Brown Derby Restaurant fame) after whom the restaurant was named. The article also links Paul Perrot's name to the Montmartre and the Ambassador Hotel. See post #3759 for a picture of the Nikabob.

USC has an April, 1930 edition of the Southern California Daily Trojan which mentions "Bob" Brown and His Southlanders playing at Paul Perrot's cafe. Just to confuse things, this article appeared in the same publication a few months earlier in January, 1930. It describes Ray West (a headline act from the Cafe Lafayette adverts I found) as being the "proprietor of his new Ray West cafe ... formerly Paul Perrot's cafe".

USC Digital Library

I wonder if these 1940s establishments in San Luis Obispo were owned by the same Paul Perrot?

eBay