View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 8:58 PM
An Optimistic Realist

If any part of the California Dream is dying, it’s the aspect of it that is a state specific version of the American Dream. Having your own house in the San Fernando Valley or San Jose with good schools around and cheap everything is no longer sustainable and should not be favorable anymore for the foreseeable future.

If the state is wanting to retain both long time residents as well as newcomers, I believe its going to have to urbanize even more, especially in the vast remaining lands it already has in the IE and Central Valley

I know a lot of Californian forumers, residents, and even rich, well to do forumers that don’t live here assume the worse in this, but I honestly see the worse in what’s going on now with the high homeless population, middle class crunch, and just everything becoming less out of reach for the people who want to live here. Of course, many are leaving because they can no longer afford the “standard” benefits of suburbia that are now found Texas and other Southern states, and that’s fine since those areas can continue to maintain that lifestyle for them in the meantime.

But for now, the future of California might as well be more urban. Instead of building more SFHs and luxury apartment only the very well to do can afford, why not add in a larger quantity of multi-unit apartments, micro apartments and studios for young professionals and average folks, and even actually roof-over-the-head housing for the homeless and help them get possibly out of their situation since they aren’t gonna be helped anywhere else.

California is a great state and I would like to live here for a while, but why boast it beyond all measure? It ain’t a perfect place, as people have already mentioned. Doesn’t have to be though.

And the imperfections have to be as stated as much as the great things about it because all that’s gonna happen is more people are get the idea to come here and add more to the burden if they don’t help reduce it or make it less. This is a big ass country and there is a lot of places people can live. We should stop whatever is concentrating people to certain areas that have reached their limit and steer people to places that haven’t reached their potential yet.