View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Los Angeles 1960

I found this 1940 aerial view of Lafayette Square which shows the site of the Paul Williams house and a couple of its neighbors when it was still an empty lot. I've highlighted it with the red box.

USC Digital Library

Using the extant Bekins Storage building on the corner of Crenshaw and Pico as a reference point, here's a close-up.

Detail of picture above.

Roughly in the center of the close-up is the F.M Teter Building, also known as the Citizens Trust and Savings Bank's Pico-Bronson branch which I included in my recent round-up of their old buildings.

USC Digital Library

While checking out the area in the Googlemobile, I spotted the building near the right of the close-up. I assumed that the building at 4061 West Pico must have appeared on NLA before. When I looked, I found this from January 2012:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Google Street View

The top of the sign says "Catch One"... as in Jewel's Catch One. No mention on its website of its time as the Diana Ballroom, but there is this:

"The history of Jewel’s Catch One is legendary. This is the club where Madonna held her CD release party. “Beaches” starring Bette Midler, Keenen Ivory Wayans’s, “I’m Gonna Get You Sucker”, “BAP” (Black American Princess) starring Hallie Berry, Angela Basset in “I Tina”, and Julia Roberts in “Pretty Woman”, several episodes of “Cold Case”, and numerous TV shows and videos have also been shot on the premises. The Catch has also played host to numerous famous celebrities and politicians, who have graced us with their presence."
The original question about the Diana Ballroom in the 1930s came from twobarbreak. Despite a bit of discussion about the building, I can't find any posts relating to when it was Joseph's Royale Cafe, seen here in 1926.

USC Digital Library

I wonder if the interior is as well preserved as the exterior.

USC Digital Library