View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 12:33 PM
Freakbirthed

Not a bad letter, but what is up with singling out Utah, SD and Colorado? What are their molds? How do you know that is their mold? How does King fit their molds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
Great idea, craeg. I just wrote out this letter, which I will send to the Chronicle and it's top editors and executive staff. If anybody would like me to add their name to my petition, please give me your first and last name and zip code. Petition letters have more strength and influence. I'll send it off in a few hours if anybody should choose to show their support (I'm looking for at least 10 names)

Here is my letter, titled "Please do not let John King be the voice of San Francisco- fire John King now !"

ear Mr. King, Editors of SF Chronicle,

It is time for John King to go. His voice is ruining my city. Over the years, I have had to read, in midst of cringing and disbelief, his childish, non provocative, uninspiring, bland "architecture critiques" of Bay Area architecture.
A point of my frustration lies in King's praising of big box retailers, such as Target, in suburban bay area towns, and strip malls, like those in the Fremont area, in such a way that you would think of these as one of man's greatest architectural achievements (at least this is how they come off when reading them).
At the same time, he is weary any kind of major, stimulating, exciting smart development in downtown San Francisco that would benefit the city as a whole.
John King has a chance to bring this city out of its conservative, fear mongering NIMBYism, and is instead giving them (the NIMBYs) more fuel to wreak more architectural havoc on my city. We can't be the 21st century city if we are stuck in the mindset of 40 years ago. Perhaps you guys need somebody younger and edgier to be a true leader for the new, increasing, and majority crowd of height and density proponents. John King is not your man. He fits into the mold of San Diego, Utah, or Colorado, but not San Francisco. We need somebody better, somebody who can argue, in more complex states of mind, why something should or shouldn't be built. King relies on verbal cliches for his "criticisms," words such as "glass, steel, slender, twisting, tall, ugly, pretty." We need somebody up to the task of bringing this city into the future, not somebody who is going to keep it in the darkened past.

Please, Mr. King, look for more work. You are keeping my city from growing the way it should.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs