View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2013, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
I've been there twice under two months ago. Feels awkward when you're there and there's another group there (or just one person). You do begin to feel "watched" if you stay there when it gets darker.

But as Kevin said, you probably won't be seeing any heavies on the East runway. Makes me wonder why they couldn't build a similar viewing area on the other side.
Good to know its still there, typically there aren't any heavies anyway aside from the occasional Fed Ex DC10. There's really no place to put an observation area on runway 35R / 17R, it pretty much runs parallel to 183. I did park on the shoulder of 183 and was "asked" to leave by APD, so I wouldn't recommend it. Not much consolation, but you can at least see airborne departures and landings of the west runway from a distance from the observation area...bring binoculars. The other people there don't bother me, at least I know I'm not the only geek who likes to view planes taking off and landing
btw, for armchair gawkers, you can always go to you tube, there's quite a few plane spotting videos of ABIA posted.