View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 8:27 AM

One more look at ths recently posted mystery snapshot. . .

Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

e_r, from what we see in the pic, can we imagine that the track is "cup-like"? Venice had a cup-like track:

LA Times, 6/4/1914.

Note that a "big Haynes auto" was present . . . and that there was a "slant of 75 deg." (as the article states), alias "75% Grade" (as the postcard writer would have it).
Interesting summation, odinthor.

I thought I had found the "cup-like" track when I happened upon this original photograph on picclick

picclick

But it isn't Venice Beach. . .it's Long Beach.

Seller's description:...RARE 1920s PHOTO OF A COUPLE AT LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA SHOWING RECKLESS ROSS MILLMAN'S WALL OF DEATH IN THE BACKGROUND

Long Beach...Wall of Death

At first I wondered if this was, indeed, Long Beach California. (there's one in N.Y. as well) I compared the pier in this photo with the Long Beach pier from around the same time periods and it's a match.

But I looked through old timey photographs of the Long Beach amusement area and wasn't able to find a single one that showed the 'Wall of Death'. ...so there's that.

Let's take a closer look.

detail

In the mystery photo (at top) you can see the back of a facade (for lack of a better word) at the upper edge of the track. There's no nearby 'facade' that's tall enough in the Long Beach photo.

It's still a mystery.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 16, 2020 at 8:48 AM.